Today free – go to ThaiPulse.com and look at the top right link – free book.
Living in Thailand
What is it like to move from the west and live in Thailand?
One man’s account of moving from America to Thailand in 2004 and what he found when he arrived.
“Living in Thailand” has many photos and is now 104 pages long.
We’ve received excellent feedback on this eBook already. In 2006 it was released as a free eBook of 47 pages. After 34,000+ downloads the author has fleshed it out and added photos.
All the response we’ve had about this eBook is that it’s an exceptional read and gives a good introduction to what it’s like living in Thailand for a western expat coming to live or vacation in the Land of Smiles.
From the book:
The “f – it” attitude is important. As an American I think we have less of it than perhaps some other cultures. In school we were made to be good. It was not a democracy in the classroom. We didn’t just get rowdy as an entire class if we all felt like it. And I find it hard to believe that we EVER got as loud as a classroom of Thai kids when they get going. Picture 45 kids mainlining liquid crack via Intravenous during the class right before yours.
In Isaan one time I had lunch with some top administrators from the department of education… the first thing the top guy ordered was some rice bugs for appetizer. Oh, and some beer for everyone. There is no stigma attached to those that order beer at lunch time here in Thailand. Even among teachers! It’s normal. It’s easy to get used to also…
From the “First Time for Everything List”, another 40 are listed in the book:
- 1st time I saw thin persons outnumber chubby, heavy, obese people.
- 1st time I saw pretty or acceptable girls outnumber ugly or undesirable girls.
- 1st time I ate bugs. (rice bugs, crickets, grasshoppers, ant larvae, hellgrammites, giant Chinese cockroaches, silkworm larvae, and scorpions (which landed me in the emergency room!)
- 1st time I ate such spicy food (yum woonsen) that I sweat profusely, felt violently ill, and recovered within an hour.
- 1st time I had diarrhea more than 10 days.
- 1st time I saw a fight where a guy was cut in the stomach with a broken bottle and then his head was kicked and bottles were bounced off his face after he was unconscious. He died. So, first time I saw a murder too.
- 1st time I threw water at people and had water thrown at me for 24 hours over a 3-day period. (Songkran)
- 1st time I saw ladyboys that WERE prettier than girls.
- 1st time I spent less than 50 cents USD for breakfast and lunch and less than $1.00 USD for dinner.
- 1st time I slept on a tile floor; a concrete floor; a hard bed; a wooden couch.
- 1st time I had my crotch grabbed by anyone other than a woman.
- 1st time I’ve eaten black beetles, grasshoppers, crickets, silk worm larvae, queen red ant larvae, giant Chinese cockroach, and a huge Scorpion (which landed me in the hospital overnight).
As with all of our eBooks you can choose which format to download in – you always receive the PDF version of our books because it’s one format preserves photos. This ebook, in particular, has many high-quality photos you’ll want to see.
Here is a sample PDF with some excerpts from “Living in Thailand”, click image:
We have unpublished the book at Amazon. Please have a look at VernLovic.com for more books.